Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Taking steps for Ovarian Cancer

This weekend we had a sponsored walk in Edinburgh to support the charity Target Ovarian Cancer - they are a really good charity and if you would like to know more about them then click HERE.

As Edinburgh is 177 miles away we drove down on Saturday afternoon to stay in a hotel near to where the walk was. As you can see, someone wanted to come with us.


Now at first glance I know you're going to think me very weird (or more weird) but I took a picture of this sign in  a toilet for a reason, and that is the bottom two lines. I love it when people who make signs have a sense of humour and also, how many people put money down public toilets??


We stopped in Pitlochry for sustenance and there is a lovely Christmas shop - I always love their window display but I particularly liked this owl as he looks like he's had one too many drinks.


Passing the Forth Rail Bridge - this was the first all steel bridge in Britain, began operation in 1890, and sees 200 train movements a day.


The next morning we made our way to Holyrood Park where the walk was taking place, got our lovely purple t-shirts and prepared for the walk. We chose to do this walk to support all those people who are affected by ovarian cancer and in memory of my beautiful Aunty Margaret and my gorgeous friend Elaine who both died from this awful cancer.


They didn't have any doggy t-shirts which was a shame, so poor Bramble had to walk naked.


Warming up before the walk - the girl leading the warm up was way to energetic.


Bramble was doing her own warm up by making friends with the other dogs that were around. This is George, who was such a lovely gentle dog and made Bramble look very little. There was another puppy who was equally as mad as our precious girl and at one point my legs were very tightly wrapped by two leads as the two dogs ran around me - eventually Ken and the owner of the other puppy managed to get me untied after they'd finished laughing.


This is Ralph who was enjoying a gently stroll through the park - isn't he beautiful. We think he's a Puli which is a Hungarian dog that protects livestock. Their walk was quite slow as lots of people were stopping them to ask about him and to take photos.


Now one thing that I wasn't warned about was that there were hills in this walk - I should have know this as Edinburgh is full of hills. Here are some shots of the view as we walked up the hill and I couldn't speak to anyone as I thought my lungs were going to explode.




Here we are at the half way point - I'm hanging onto Ken so that I don't fall over.


More shots of the beautiful Holyrood Park and looking out towards the sea. There were way too many fit people out in the park for a Sunday morning with lots of joggers, cyclers, and dog walkers going past us. A few people passed us more than once which made us feel very unfit (or should I say it made me feel very unfit as my beloved was walking slow for me).



At the end with our medals - very sweetly they gave Bramble a medal as well.


As we were walking back to the car we passed this white van with two very interesting stickers on the back.



We then found a Costa to reward ourselves with coffee and cake.


My gorgeous man who supports me in all my crazy endeavors and makes sure I'm okay through it all.


We were soon back on the road and heading home - the trees are all changing into their beautiful autumn colours now.




Picture as we were driving onto the Forth Road Bridge and includes the two bridges either side - the Forth Rail bridge and the new Queensferry Bridge Crossing to the left which is due to open in May 2017.


We stopped in Pitlochry again for food and had a lovely meal at Hettie's tea room - the one that Ken things looks like the inside of a doll's hous.


As we were driving home we had a great view of the Hunters Moon which with a mobile phone camera isn't that dramatic but it was amazing. What made it even better is that it is a super moon so closer to the earth than normal.


Just before I finish, here's a picture of the back of our t-shirts which is a reminder to all those people out there with ovaries - know the symptoms of ovarian cancer and see your GP if you're concerned.


That's it for today, until next time be good, stay safe, and do something nice for someone else this week.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S:  Click DONATE to go to our fundraising page and give to this great charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment