Friday, April 07, 2017

F is for Falls of Foyers

Day six in the A to Z blogging challenge and we're up to F and I've got a double F for you - the Falls of Foyers.


The falls are on the south side of Loch Ness and 36 miles from our home . They are formed by the River Foyers and after the falls, where it drops 140 feet, it runs into Loch Ness.


The falls are a beautiful site and there's a really good path down to them. At the top there is a postoffice and a cafe, either for sustenance before you walk down or for a recovery cup of coffee afterwards. The cafe has games available to play so we went back to our childhoods and played Connect 4 - I won two in a row so Ken gave up then.

This is from one of the information boards and I thought it was better than anything I could write.

As you walk down the path you pass several rocks with the words of a poem carved into them. These are from a poem that Robert Burns wrote when he visited the falls in 1787 - I've written it out in full for you after these photos. It's a really nice touch and adds to the atmosphere of your falls experience.






Among the heathy hills and ragged woods

The roaring Foyers pours his mossy floods;
Till full he dashes on the rocky mounds,
Where, through a shapeless breach, his stream resounds,
As high in air the bursting torrents flow,
As deep-recoiling surges foam below,
Prone down the rock the whitening sheet descends,
And viewless Echo's ear, astonish'd rends.
Dim seen, through rising mists and ceaseless showers,
The hoary cavern, wide-surrounding, lowers.
Still, through the gap the struggling river toils,
And still, below, the horrid cauldron boils.
(Robert Burns)

The two of us with the falls in the background



The area around the falls includes lots of walks you can do and not far away is a camping ground, so if you like nature it would be a great area to base yourself. 


My beloved looking his usual gorgeous self.


At the top of the falls near the cafe is a phone box that is not all that it seems. When you open the door you discover that gnomes have moved in and made it their home.



There's even a slightly dodgy business card related to gnomes on the wall inside - reminds me of some of the very dodgy cards we used to see in phone boxes in London.


It's a beautiful spot in the Highlands so if you're ever in the area make sure you visit. Before you go, why don't you pop over to the A to Z blog and see what my fellow bloggers have come up with for the letter F - click HERE to visit.

Until next time when we meet for the letter G, be good, stay safe, and have a great day.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx


15 comments:

  1. How fun! The rocks with the poem are a neat idea. And I love the gnome booth... :D

    The Multicolored Diary: WTF - Weird Things in Folktales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gnome phone box is my favourite thing I've seen in ages. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. We've been to Loch Ness and went out on the boat, but didn't get to explore the Falls. Regretting that now! My Scottish-born wife is a big Burns fan, and that is definitely the most dubious gnome business card I've seen! The falls look beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to go back and visit the falls in the future. I know, that business card is so funny - definitely dodgy.

      Delete
  3. I have a thing about running water, I just love to be close to it and watch it and I can watch falls for hours. Thanks for sharing these ones :)
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - Dragon Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean as I can sit by a river for ages. These falls are beautiful and in such a lovely setting. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, beautiful! I live falls! And a cafe, where I would happily sit and enjoy the view for a while. They are everywhere tourists are likely to cone. My mother and I got caught in the rain when walking along some cliffs in South Wales once. The rain stopped and I went into the cafe to recover and enjoy the view, while my mother stood out in the wind to dry!

    If you Google it, you may find a photo of Uluru in Australia earlier this year, caught by unexpected rain, as a waterfall.

    What a handsome hubby you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pictures of Uluru when the water cascades off it and I think my beloved and I have been caught in the rain in Wales before. Thanks for the compliment - I thing he's pretty gorgeous too.

      Delete
  5. I echo what Sophie said. I can watch waterfalls and swift moving creeks or rivers for forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, love that the gnomes repurposed the phone box! I do love the red phone boxes, it may be a touristy thing.
    Gorgeous falls, and very nice picture of the two of you :-)
    Can't wait for L (or N?) as you'll be writing about Loch Ness. You will, right? RIGHT???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the red phone boxes too, especially when you see them in an out of the way place. Be patient and you may get what you have asked for.

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam and Ken - lovely telling of the area - and it does sound glorious - I've never visited the highlands or seen much of Scotland - something Ihneed to correct at some stage. Definitely on my list ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/we-are-world-in-darkness-be-light.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That business card made me laugh!

    I love water too! Falls of Foyers will be yet another destination we will add to our itinerary for when we visit Scotland. I have a feeling our list will be fairly long by the time I've followed your blog through the alphabet.

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Food in Film: Grilled Cheese Sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love visiting falls. That one is gorgeous! And connect four, I haven't thought of that game in years. ha!
    Discarded Darlings - Jean Davis, Speculative Fiction Writer, A to Z: Editing Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love waterfalls, and the poetry etched onto rocks is just lovely. That phone booth is pretty hilarious. :D

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete