Thursday, July 20, 2017

Top Ten Thursday: Rude, Inappropriate, & Arrogant

We're finally in one place after several days of travelling - it's cold at the bottom of the world. Whilst battling jet lag it's time to sit down with a coffee and list the top ten things that people do that are rude, inappropriate, or arrogant - I don't think we've got enough time for all the things I could list. Here's the ten that I'm going to share.

1. Airline queues: this is one that we've experienced over the last few days and it always brings out the worst in people. We're all in the same departure gate, the plane is not going to leave without us, and yet what could be a nice orderly queue turns into a free for all with people pushing in line and basically being very annoying.

Bangkok Airport 
2. Cold Callers: Those calls that are people wanting to sell things, sort out your accident, claim back money from your bank, and basically infuriate us constantly. As a result there are certain times of the day that we don't answer our phone as we know it will be one of these calls.

3. We don't need to see that: don't you just love it (not!!) when you see people sitting like this and showing way too much of their anatomy off to the world. There should be trouser police who go around squirting ice cold water down these 'openings'.


4. Mobile phones at checkouts: it is so inappropriate and rude and probably stems from arrogance for people to think it's alright to be talking on their mobile whilst they are being served in a shop, usually totally ignoring the person behind the counter except to shove money at them.

5. Dogs outside shops: I know this is quite a common practice but I don't like it for two reasons. Firstly, the dog could be stolen, very easily, and that would be devastating. The other reason is that some people leave their dogs for ages and it really upsets me when you see a dog whining and barking for their owner to come back. I've seen dogs left outside shops in really hot weather and equally in really cold and wet weather and I find it really inappropriate, but hey, that's just me.


6. Bad car drivers: in particular, the really rude ones who cut you off and nearly cause a car accident. The ones who get in the wrong lane and then realise at the last minute, cutting across several lanes to get to their turn off. Thankfully I have a husband who had police driver training and we always make it home in one piece.

7. Littering: we live on a beautiful planet with so many wonderful places to visit and explore and yet people still insist on littering our world. It would be great if we all lived by the quote: Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time.


8. Excuse me: don't you just hate it when you're looking at something in a shop and someone else decides they want it and rather than saying excuse me they just push in front of you and get it. If I'm feeling cheeky then I might say excuse me (very sarcastically) to them, but usually I just huff and let them get away with it. I think the phrase 'excuse me' is an optional extra in some people's vocabulary's.

9. Train & Tube commuters: One thing that I really don't miss from London is travelling on the underground and the trains to work. People get in this head down mode where they can't see anyone else and they just rush forwards, not caring who they bump into - don't be going slow and get in the way of the commuter wave as it's not a good thing. I was in London for a couple of the underground strikes so for the first one I got the train to work, but getting onto the train was a very scary experience as it was so crowded on the platform that it took a few trains before I got near the doors, and then as I started to step on a man grabbed me and shoved me back so that he could get on. Commuting brings out the worst in people. 

Stock photo from Pixabay.com
10. Phubbing: this is that really awful habit that some people have of ignoring who they're with in favour of their phone, so phone snubbing = phubbing. Sometimes when my beloved and I go out for a meal or even just for a coffee we'll see people at other tables who are all on their phones rather than interacting with each other. It looks particularly rude when it's in a restaurant, and hopefully none of the people we've seen have been on a date.

Do you agree with my list or have you got lots of other pet peeves that you consider rude, inappropriate, or arrogant? Before you go, pop over to Tamara's blog Part-time Working Hockey Mom and see what my fellow bloggers have come up with.

Until next time, be good, stay safe, and be nice to everyone you meet.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Yes to every single item on your list! However I have never really thought about the dog one. What choices do people have, they can't bring their dogs into the store, they can't leave them in the car, so...? The only thing to do would be to power-shop, be in and out in less than 30 minutes and then bring your dog a treat?

    I'm sure you could have done an entire post just listing annoying things people do while traveling... the queuing at the airport is just the beginning. People bringing their whole household into the cabin as "carry-on items", sticking their elbow over to your side of the seat, coughing and sneezing really grossly, getting up and turning their phones on even though they're not supposed to yet, etc. etc.

    Have a great stay Down Under, keep warm and blog a lot if you got time! Any Lamington baking coming up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People taking up too much space in the departure lounge, coughing, sneezing, having their music so loud you can hear it despite their headphones, eating smelly food, etc, etc. Yes, I could go on and on about travelling. The dog one, I just think if people are going shopping then they should leave the dog at home, but I know they'd like the treat you suggested.
      Minus one this morning so keeping rugged up.

      Delete
  2. Great list and I laughed at the "plumbers butt" one. I couldn't agree more with your list, the dogs waiting outside or in a car is just so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, it was very cathartic putting it all down.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Very, very annoying. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. #3 - yeah, I don't want to see this either, or really any inappropriate body parts

    #6 - what I really don't like are those drivers making very quick u-turns because there are pedestrian crossing the street at the same moment and right where the u-turn is, I really wish they would take their time

    #7-hate that too plus I don't get it because sometimes the trash bin is so close by

    #9 - yeah, people can get pretty rude when riding trains, I have experienced some of the most crowded trains, sometimes it really couldn't be help but I really would like it if people apology when they bump into you or hit you which I have experienced, I guess some people have no manners

    #10 - that sounds like a right term- perhaps people should turn off their phone when they dine?

    I agreed with you all on the rest of the list.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissa, littering is especially annoying if the bin is close by. When my stepson comes to stay I always make him put his mobile down whilst we're having tea as it's so rude. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. We have next to nothing in the way of public transportation in the Detroit area - we make cars, duh! - but I can certainly agree on all the others. Another pet peeve are the folks who get in the self checkout line and have no clue what they are doing and call someone to help them. Guess they had no idea what 'self' means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the people that go in the 10 items or less line with a full trolley!! I hate the self checkout lines as I'm always worried I'll muck it up so always go to a person.

      Delete