Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Travelling Through the Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday Hodgepodge time - answering a set of questions set by Joyce of the blog, From This Side of the Pond. This week there is a distinct travel theme.


1. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your sense of direction? 1=can't find my way out of a paper bag and 10=if I've been somewhere once I can find it blindfolded ten years later.
I'm going to say about 7. As I don't drive I'm always the navigator so have learnt to keep a close eye on where we going. I also try to take note of unusual things we pass if we're out walking as they're the things that help me find my way if we go back there again.


When was the last time you looked at/used a map you could hold in your hand? (phones don't count!) 


On Saturday just gone - it was a map of all the wood carvings in Carrbridge and I used it to direct my beloved to some of the out of the way ones. (see blog post World Porridge Championships)

back east, down south, out west, up north

Choose one of these directional expressions and tell us why you chose it.

Out west. It just makes me think of exploring undiscovered lands and finding new exciting places to visit. I think it comes from watching old movies when I was younger.

2. Did you do more talking or listening yesterday? Is that typical? Describe your yesterday in one word.

I was at work yesterday so I did more listening than talking as that is a big part of my job. Then in the evening we went and listened to the Woodsman and Bushcraft expert Ray Mears speak. Apart from the evening it was a very typical day and the word I would use to describe it is mixed.


3. Time, money, water-power-resources, opportunity...which one on the list are you most guilty of wasting? What might you do to change that?


I think I'm guilty of all of the above at different times but probably the worst is time. Procrastination is something I'm very guilty of, hopefully not at work, but in my personal life. Some things I'm very good at making decisions about and then acting on them but others will roll around in my brain for ages.

4. Did  your family take regular vacations when you were a kid? Tell us something you remember about a family roadtrip from your own childhood.


As a result of growing up on a dairy farm we could only go on holiday in winter due to the cows, so my childhood memories of holidays are usually involving cold and sometimes snow.

One year we flew to Melbourne and got the bus to Adelaide. It was a long journey and my brother and I were constantly bickering so I went down the back of the bus to get away from him. It sticks in my memory as there was an older gentleman at the back smoking a pipe - remember when people could smoke on public transport?

5. If you could grow anything you wanted, what would you grow? Why?

I would love to have a large garden with lots of flowers, fruit, and vegetables.I'd definitely have gladiolus as they always remind me of Australia as they're Dame Edna Everage's favourite flower and my nanna had lots of them growing in her garden.


6. Insert your own random thought here.


One of my favourite holidays that my beloved and I have taken was to the island of Hvar which is part of Croatia. It's a really beautiful country with friendly people. The town of Hvar is closed to cars within the central part so is perfect for lots of restaurants to have tables outside and people to wander around enjoying the ambience. We swam in crystal clear water, ate fabulous seafood, did walks in the hills through deserted villages, visited a lavender farm, and my favourite thing, went to a concert of traditional Croatian singing in a ruined monastery.

It's a really stunning part of the world and I would definitely recommend it for a holiday.

Hope you've enjoyed my answers to the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and before you go why don't you pop over to Joyce's blog to see what my fellow bloggers have come up with - Click Here to Visit.

Until next time, be good, stay safe, and take this week to do something for kind for someone else.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx

4 comments:

  1. These are really good questions and answers! Hodge Podge looks like fun. Your posts are always so interesting! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun prompt based challenge - I'm glad you like my posts. Thanks Annie.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine the memories made growing up on a dairy farm. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many Rebecca, and I really wish I had more photos of that time. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete